Friday, April 3, 2015

Shaking Things Up!



According to Ian McGugan in his column (Globe and Mail) on Tuesday, commenting on Ben Bernanke's (former chairman of the US Federal Reserve) new blog, to survive in the "blogoshere" , one must "shake it up".

He says that the world of social media is a
 "less forgiving world".

How in the world will me and my blog survive such a highly stressful environment? With guys with the credibility of a Ben Bernanke competing for my readers valuable time, things are bound to get intense.

Ben is one very smart fellow!


One reader suggested more "provocative" photographs (as opposed to "geeky charts").

The industry that I work in is a highly regulated one and the regulators have some pretty strict rules about what is considered "soliciting" for the purpose of a trade.

Until today I had the good fortune to have a very competent Raymond James compliance officer ensuring that I stayed onside and I am grateful that he had my back (and responded at all hours, even on weekends!).

However, I have officially departed Raymond James (effective today) and am on my own (for the moment).

So I will have to take extra precautions to make certain that I stay within the boundaries of investment industry regulations in the social media context.

The exciting news is that I am going to "shake things up" with a new venture (to be announced officially next week).

The goal of the new venture will be to put my philosophy of client care and fiduciary responsibility to work in the world of Wealth Management in a new and effective format (where we actually walk the talk), unburdened by the demands put upon us by large organizations mandating that success in this business is all about revenue "production" .

When revenue production becomes the priority it is a conflict of interest that can leave the client wanting.

While the regulators debate over how this needs to be dictated to the world of financial advice (CRM 2), my new business partner and I are creating a new platform where individuals and families can come to us knowing that our first priority is their financial success.

Stay Tuned


No comments: